Signs of Addiction
The signs and symptoms of substance abuse can and will vary from one person to the next. This depends on many factors, including the substance that is being abused, the age and health of the person, and how long they have been abusing the substance.
Here are some of the most common signs and symptoms:
- The person is unable to stop using the substance, even if they put in a serious effort
- Withdrawal symptoms occur, including cravings, moodiness, depression, and resentment
- The person obsesses over how they are going to get their hands on their substance of choice
- Excess consumption to the point of blacking out or becoming extremely sick
- Quitting extracurricular activities
These behavioral, physical, and psychological signs of abuse can come about in those who are addicted to drugs, alcohol, or both.
The signs of addiction may not be the same in every person. When you take an honest approach, regarding your problem or that of a loved one, it becomes easier to pinpoint an addiction and find a solution.